Saturday, January 3, 2009

How to Get Things for Free or Cheap

With an economy in the dumps, people are trying to save money on everything they possibly can. In this post, I'll teach you the ways that I penny pinch and how I save me and my husband thousands of dollars every single year!

One thing that I always remember is that every penny we earn, is ours. Like everybody else, I want to keep every last penny that we make!

I got hooked on Mary Kay makeup about 2 years ago, but what I wasn't hooked on was the prices. I mean, come on..$18 for a tube of foundation? No thanks! But I loved the makeup. What was I to do about this problem? Find Mary Kay makeup for CHEAP! I turned to Ebay (www.ebay.com) and searched for only the makeup that I wanted. On average, I can find the same exact Mary Kay foundation that I oh-so love for at least 50% cheaper, if not less and that includes shipping straight to my doorstep! What is even better is that I can bypass pesky Mary Kay sales women that are always trying to tell me whatever flaws I have and what "new product" can help. The final straw for me was when my Mary Kay lady told me that I have "crows feet"..except the problem was that I was only 25 years old and I didn't have a single wrinkle on my young face! So now I save myself from feeling old & ugly and from paying full price: double bonus! ;-)

Often times I'll make a list of what me and my husband "need" and "want" and then I'll head over to Freecycle.org and look in our area for things that people are giving away. This has worked time after time and we have been able to get things like a 4" Memory Foam bed topper, a brand new desk, a rocking chair with ottoman, printer ink refills, a treadmill in mint condition, and so much more...all TOTALLY FREE!!! You can't beat that! I estimate that using Freecycle.org saves us well over $1,000 every single year.

Another bargain tip is to head on over to your local Goodwill (try to go to a Goodwill that is in a "richy" area, they usually have brand new high quality items for dirt-cheap). My latest find was a few months ago when I bought a brand new hose hideaway that was originally $43 and it was being sold at Goodwill for $9.99. I was so excited because it was the exact same hose hideaway that I've been looking for and wanted but couldn't bear the thought of spending so much money on a plastic hose box. If you would like to see my original post about this great find, click here.

If you combine the above advice (Ebay/Freecycle/Goodwill) with saving money on your gas bill and saving money on your electric bill, add in some coupons from the Sunday newspaper for when you grocery shop, and you'll be saving yourself thousands of dollars each and every year!!

You deserve to keep your money in your pocket, so keep it there! ;-)

~Jamie~
(aka Bargain Hunter)